Bleaching Blacks - Part II

A "Bleaching Blacks" follow-up post.

For some of you, the following short video (only about 9 minutes) is nothing new or even surprising.  For others, this may be quite an incredible shock.


http://jezebel.com/5805954/the-heartbreaking-reality-of-being-a-dark+skinned-black-woman



Watch it and then please comment here.  I don't care what colour you are, or what part of the world you're from, I know you've got an opinion and I'd like to hear it.  You guys don't need to hear what I think and read my rants all the time.

Comments

  1. The scene with the child pointing at the different pictures of rainbow children ripped my heart out.

    I had a similar experience with my niece; when the Disney Fairies movie came out, the Disney Store sold figurines. We were browsing around, and she picked up a box with 6 fairies inside, all of various shades and hair colours. I watched as she pointed at each fairy in turn and called each fairy “pretty” except the black fairy who she called "ugly". I asked her why that fairy wasn’t pretty, and her response was “because she’s dark.”

    Knowing her parents aren’t overtly racist, I still wonder how she got that idea in her head... TV? Movies? Disney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say all of the above. Throw BET in there for kicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.nationnews.com/letters/view/by-the-colour-of-your-skin/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that video was really eye opening for me. I really had no idea, and to think I tan in order to get darker!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment